Our Relational Children’s Ministry Course has helped many participants acquire the knowledge, insight and skills needed to become effective children’s ministry workers. It is ideal for those who want to learn how to build relationships with children, lead them into a loving relationship with God and mentor them in spiritual growth.
Even though this is an online course, the format also requires a weekly meeting-, (29 meetings in total) with a children’s group, as part of the assignments. COVID made these in-person meetings a bit challenging. We had to innovate by allowing to meet with a family (online or in person when possible), instead of with only children (in person).
This approach has proven to be successful with our students, and so, the birth of the Relational Family Ministry (RFM) came about. The feedback has shown us how the families worked with bonded, and grew in their relational skills, appreciation for one another, family values, worship and reading the Bible together. This course will create the opportunity for you to take a family by the hand and walk with them for one year.
The outcome is that from 2022, we will be offering an option to choose between RCM and RFM upon enrolling for this course.
We see the potential of this course to equip churches to reach their families – even online. We are excited to see what God will do.
Enrolments are unfortunately limited to 40 per year, so please be sure to enrol soon (details below).
Who can enroll?
- Anyone with a love for children and/or families.
- Family and children’s ministry workers, ministry leaders, teachers, parents, pastors, caregivers, etc.
- Those who want to learn how to build relationships within families and with children.
- Those who want to learn how to lead families and children into a loving relationship with God, and mentor them in spiritual growth.
- Choose from two options: Relational Children’s Ministry (RFM) for building Godly families through family ministry or Relational Children’s Ministry (RCM) for building Godly children through children’s ministry
- Adjustable submission calendar
- No exams or tests
- Weekly assignment with families or children (can be done via electronic platform, such as Zoom or Skype, or direct contact sessions)
- Weekly feedback from online mentor
- 4 x 2-day virtual classes included
- Runs from February 2022 – November 2022 (registration 15 November 2021 – 15 January 2022)
- 10 months of study (5 – 8 hours per week)
- 3 holiday breaks
Weekly meeting with family
Student facilitates a family to build relationships with one another and with God
Weekly meeting with children’s group
Student builds a relationship with children and guide them in building a relationship with God
RFM & RCM
- Build and deepen relationships, the fun way
- Learn to really listen to one another
- Identify family/group values that honour God
- Learn to handle conflict in a way that honours God
- Celebrate your differences and value each person
- Meet God through true praise and worship
- Meet God in the stories of the Bible
- Master good Bible reading habits
- Understand what happens at salvation
- Learn to share the message of salvation with others
Identical handbooks and Assignments
BIBLICAL BASIS – FAMILIES AND CHILDREN
- Matthew 18
- Psalm 78
BUILDING RELATIONSHIPS THROUGH
- Play and games
- Listening and responding when children talk
- Keeping safe boundaries
- Functioning well as a family unit/children’s group
- Care and share activities
MENTORING SPIRITUAL GROWTH
- Guide children and families in salvation
- Praise and worship God together
- Bible stories that change lives
- Creative Bible reading
- Read the Bible as a family or on your own
- Memorise scripture
- Design a family or children’s meeting programme
Price for 2022
- First World Price USD780
- Third World Price ZAR6500
- Down payment option available
- Banking details and student number will be provided as soon as your application has been processed.
- Student number should be used as payment reference on ALL payments.
A declaration of completion will be awarded on completion of the course.
Please note this is a non-accredited course.
Relational Family Ministry (RFM)
Relational Children’s Ministry (RCM)
Susan Booth – Reverend, Head of Children’s Ministry, Agape, Rustenburg
Runs yearly children’s feast +1000 children and +100 workers
Completed RCM 1 – also trained to trained others
Through Petra I received tools which a degree could never give. I learnt how to build relationships with both children and children’s workers. Children’s ministry is no more just about conveying knowledge; within deeper relationships, faith is transferred. Our children’s workers share they have received life skills, which impact life on all levels – even outside of children’s ministry.
Jorrie Jonker – Children’s Ministry, DRC Moreleta, Pretoria
Now Children’s Pastor Living World – Centurion
Leader Presenter; weekly + 300 children
Completed RCM 1 + 2 and trained to train others
Windows of understanding opened, which helped me to think deeper about children’s ministry. During praise and worship children enter the presence of God – as compared to simply singing songs. They now meet God in the pages of the Bible, instead of just listening to Bible stories. In creating structure, we now build relationships through games, before the service of children’s ministry.
Lize Pieterse – Head of Children’s Ministry, Lewende Woord, Centurion
Completed RCM 1 and trained to train others
I do not feel lost, struggling to find my way anymore. I now have a framework to work from; a safe foundation, a starting point which makes sense. I now know what I want to achieve and how I need to get there. I understand the principles, the deeper reasons behind what I am doing. I have been equipped with so many new tools which work!
Courtney Hendriks – Children’s worker in schools, Pretoria (now Petra Institute)
Completed RCM 1 and trained to train others
My whole ministry was transformed! The relational approach is a key that works! The material is Holy Spirit inspired and Bible-based. The wide variety of techniques are effective and I have learnt to create a space within which children can meet God.
I am now a much more effective Children’s Worker.